MPPSC Interview is the most crucial and important part of the journey towards being successful in the MPPSC exam. It is of the third and most important part in deciding the gradation of post as per the final Merit list that includes marks secured collectively in the Mains exam and Interview. The interview round consists of 175 marks. A candidate has to manage wisely the time for preparation of interview from the beginning of preparation onwards. Unlike the prelims and mains preparation, interview round needs not only syllabus knowledge but also OLQs and personality trait. If you too are worried about the interview, this article will definitely help you to score the best marks and achieve your dream job.
MPPSC interview is a Question-Answer session, including discussion with the panel lasting for 30-45 minutes. This discussion includes general questions about yourself, your education, your previous profession or job (if any), your aspirations and many more. We can say that it’s your IQ as well as presence of mind checking. Being up to the mark in the interview can help the aspirants in acquiring better rank in the merit list as compared to their counterparts.
Key Areas to focus on while preparing for the Interview
“There is a way to do it better, you just need to find it” – Thomas Edison
These lines of the great Thomas Alva Edison are very motivating and tell you that you just need to find out the best way to perform a task in the most effective way. There are certain key areas where you have to focus as these are the most general topics on which questions can be asked. I have provided a list related to important key areas –
- Your CV inclusive of your background, educational qualification, work experience, hobbies
- Region-specific questions where you are born or have completed your studies
- Interest in MPPSC – appropriate, logical reasons or why you want to become a civil servant
- Current Affairs & General Awareness – events of national and international importance
- Questions on polity, socioeconomic and political issues
- State – specific questions on current happenings
- Economy, banking and finance, government schemes
- Questions on government functioning
- Your perception regarding current system of government
About Interview Panel
The interview panel for generally consists of 3 -5 members among the following members. At present the panel consisting of following members:
- Hon’ble Shri Prof. Bhaskar Choubey (Chairman MPPSC)
- Hon’ble Shri Dr. Rajesh Lal Mehra (Member MPPSC)
- Hon’ble Shri Chandrashekhar Raikwar
- Hon’ble Shri Dr. Ramesh Singh Raikwar
- Hon’ble Shri Dr. Devendra Singh Markam
- Smt. Vandana Vaidya, IAS (Secretary)
- Smt. Sanghmitra Gautam (Dy. Secretary)
There are generally three interview boards and the candidates can be selected randomly for any of the interview board headed by Chairman or Member of MPPSC. Questions will be asked by all the members (one by one) on different topics described below. All you need is your confidence level and presence of mind along-with general knowledge to influence the panel and proof yourself better and deserving than anyone else.
Role of Attire
It has been said’ “Style is a reflection of your attitude and personality.” What you wear is all about how you present yourself to the world, especially today, when human contacts are so quick. As a civil servant You need to be formal and well dressed physically as well as mentally. For woman candidates, try to present yourself in a traditional and decent way (Saree or salvaar kurti). The colour you choose should not be overbright or shiny, wear something light and elegance.
A question can be raised upon why you wear so? Make sure that you must have the knowledge regarding importance and choice of your attire you dressed in.
Most Recurrent Questions
- Describe yourself
This is not just about your name or general introduction but about your inner qualities and skills. How much better you can be able to describe yourself, your aspirations and personality will ensure you about the success. Be original version of yourself and try to pretend. “To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment.” ― Ralph Waldo Emerson.
- About your Native Town
Administration is a broad term and as an administrator you need to have spatial and temporal knowledge of the region assigned to you. Better you scrutinize the history, best you can make a future. The knowledge of that place, the natives, culture and tradition where you spend most of the years of your life proves the awareness and interest in knowing the surroundings which is must to analyse the problems and needs of development in your region.
- About University from which you studied
This is the most common question asked in interview. For example if you are graduated from Devi Ahilya Vishwavidyalaya, Indore then you must have the knowledge of Ahilya Bai’s life and achievements, the Holkars and motto of the institution.
- About native state
As a civil servant you are representing your state, so you need to be aware about the history, polity, economy, culture and tradition of your native state.
- Why Administrative Services
This is literally a typical question but a candidate should answer it most wisely which can differentiate him from others. Everyone has different motto and ideology so the answer also differs. It should be free from biasness and must be selfless.
- About graduation/ PG streams
The stream in which you are graduated or post-graduated role as a deciding factor of your career. It’s a primary target which you want to achieve. So, you must have proper knowledge of that stream as per the syllabus.
- Optional Subject
The optional subject describes your interest so you need to be wise in that subject. The concepts and basics should be clear and also updated to the current affairs related to that subject.
- Current Issues
Current affairs show the awareness and relevance of prevailing situations in the nation or world. As an administrator your decisions highly depends on and affected by the contemporary scenario and happenings.
- Suggestions/Views over the acts of running Government
Administration acts as a executive body in the system guided by the running government. As you are working as per the guidelines of govt. you should be loyal and supportive to the government’s policies and decisions.
Important tips for successfully cracking the MPPSC Interview
- Know Yourself Better – Sometimes we are not even well aware about ourselves. But, you have to do a self-analysis prior your MPPSC interview. Go through each and every point in your CV, read carefully and try to avoid write extravagant things about yourself. Any misleading information may cause problem to you. Don’t forget to acquire knowledge about your birth place, work place, your school, college and every detail related to you. You must be well aware about your hobbies/ areas of interest, educational discipline, etc.
You should know the significance of your degree and counter reason to justify that why have you given priority to civil services over your career or profession as per your education. A copy of your Detailed Application Form (DAF) is provided to all the panel members. Therefore, it is important to provide answers in the form cautiously. Read your DAF with ease for 4-5 times so that your answers can match with those written on your application form, otherwise it may put your integrity at stake.
- Effective Communication skills – All will go in vain if you are not able to answer properly with the right kind of attitude and confidence. So, work upon your communication skills. “Communication works for those who works to improve it.” It is very well understood that if you want to built good communication with the interviewers it is very much needed to polish your communication skills in prior. You can watch videos of several mock interviews. You can also take some classes to improve your verbal and language skills as the choice of appropriate words makes a huge difference.
- Have Positive Attitude – Having the right kind of attitude and gesture with utmost honesty, integrity, punctuality, understanding, and respect towards the panel and the administration you can hold a better opinion of the interviewers. This also decides the level of questions raised in the interview. It may be possible that you don’t know the answer, but with your confidence and positive attitude you can pave the way forward for making an impression on the members of the panel.
- Be confident – “Confidence comes not from always being right but sometimes from not fearing to be wrong.” A candidate can not be comfortable with any decision until his own approval. Your can beat any challenge by making self-confidence, a powerful weapon.
- Keep Yourself Updated – Candidate’s awareness of the recent happenings and his/her knowledge and views on current happenings are also important. Therefore, it is required to keep yourself updated by resorting to newspapers, current affairs, digital media, news channels, etc. Try to frame a balanced answer which is rational not biased. It is strongly recommended to know about both the merits and demerits or you can say about each and every possibility and limitation related to any particular topic.
- Framing Appropriate Answers – It is highly suggested to avoid beating around the bush. Get straight to the point. Instead of trying to flaunt your excessive and unnecessary knowledge through complex answers. Ensure to provide simple and easy to comprehend answers showcasing the clarity of thoughts. “Your words are the Dress of Your Thoughts”, just take a minute to think before answering the questions on sensitive issues. Also, be ready to accept the opinions of the panel members and still if you have a contradicting opinion, represent it in a relaxing manner.
Parameters Considered by the Panel for Evaluation
The interview panel assesses a candidate based on various parameters to judge his/her attitude towards civil services. They want to check whether he/she can be a good administrator. Selected candidates will not only become a part of the government system, but will also be the important building blocks of the state and the country. The following parameters are kept in mind while evaluating your potential –
- Administrative skills – The most important trait of being a good administrator include accurate decision-making, promptness to react in an odd situation, transparent attitude towards everything or everyone, accountability or responsibility.
- Clarity of thoughts – The interview panel assesses a candidate’s clear and rational thought process as it is one of the most important qualities of an administrator which make him or her apt for the post.
- Sensitivity & Understanding – It is important to react cautiously towards sensitive issues for instance, matters that lead to mass outcries like religion, caste or gender-related issues, etc. You have to think judiciously in these situations.
- Responsible Attitude – A candidate’s responsibility taking attitude is a must for the administrative jobs. Honesty, punctuality, self-discipline, responsibility, etc are always one of the topmost qualities a candidate must possess.
- Leadership skills – It is the most required quality of an administrative officer, it is well said that a leader must avoid being a dictator. Therefore, a candidate’s leadership skills are also tested during the interview.
We hope this article will help you to make your interview through with flying colors.
Stay tuned!! We have a lot more in our package to share with you!!
ALL THE VERY BEST FOR YOUR INTERVIEWS!!