Registrations open for GATE 2021, Pattern, Syllabus, Exam Dates and Eligibility
Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering is a national level entrance examination conducted annually by the Indian Institute of Science (IISc) Bangalore along-with seven Indian Institutes of Technology (IITs) at Bombay, Kharagpur, Delhi, Madras, Guwahati, Kanpur, and Roorkee on behalf of National Coordination Board (NCB)-GATE, Department of Higher Education. This examination has been a Computer Based Test (CBT) to check the comprehensive understanding of the candidates in various undergraduate subjects in Engineering / Technology / Architecture and also in post-graduate level subjects in Arts, Commerce and Science.
To boost the skills and create opportunity for the aspirants seeking admission or financial assistance to Postgraduate Programs (Master’s and Doctoral) with Ministry of Education and other Government sponsored Scholarships, subject to the admission criteria of the admitting institute, qualifying in GATE examination is mandatory.
The GATE score also provide opportunity getting recruitment in some Public Sector Undertakings and several other universities in India as well as abroad for admissions.
The validation for GATE 2021 score remains for three years from the date of announcement of results.
About GATE 2021
IIT Bombay has been the organizing authority for GATE 2021. The application forms have been released on the Official website of gate.iitb.ac.in by IIT Bombay. The most important and good news for the GATE 2021 aspirants is that the relaxation has been provided to the students regarding eligibility criteria. The 3rd year candidates are also now eligible for GATE 2021 examination.
30th September, 2020 is the Last date decided to apply for GATE 2021.
Important dates for GATE 2021
GATE 2021 examination has twelve sessions in six days: Friday 5th, Saturday 6th, Sunday 7th, Friday 12th, Saturday 13th and Sunday 14th of February 2021.
Centres for GATE 2021
The GATE examination venues to be held in 195 different cities across India along-with six cities outside of India but this year it will be held in abroad only if the current situation of Covid-19 will be under control and there is surety of ease of travel.
Changes instigated in Eligibility Criteria of GATE 2021
By understanding the eligibility criteria for GATE 2021, aspirants can opt for some specific preparation strategy from now onwards in accordance with the guidelines and requirements ensuring their success in the upcoming examination. Here is the overview of latest eligibility criteria:
- Candidates will be able to appear for the two subjects in 2021 which will boost their proficiency.
- Third-year students are now qualifying for GATE.
- The eligibility required for GATE 2021 shall be relaxed from a minimum of 10 + 2 + 4 to a minimum of 10 + 2 + 3 in order to boost their performance and creating better opportunities.
- Graduates from arts and commerce streams can also now eligible for application for GATE.
- Two new subject papers have been introduced for GATE 2021:
- ES (Environmental Science and Engineering)
- XH (Humanities and Social Sciences) in Economics / Linguistics / English / Philosophy / Sociology/ Psychology.
- The number of subjects increased from 25 to 27 now.
- 13% weight of marks will be allotted to Engineering Mathematics, papers with codes AE, AG, BM, BT, CE, CH, CS, EC, EE, ES, IN, ME, MN, MT, PE, PI, TF and XE, 15% given to General Aptitude and remaining 72% will be allotted to subject paper.
- The pattern of all the Test Papers of GATE 2021 will be entirely objective which will include some Multiple-Choice Questions (MCQ), Multiple Select Questions (MSQ) and/or Numerical Answer Type (NAT) questions.
Exam Pattern for GATE 2021 for New Subject XH
Recently two new subjects have been added to GATE 2021 syllabus. The pattern of XH will be different from other subjects which is described below:
|Reasoning and Comprehension||25||B1|
|Candidates need to select any one from the following subjects|
Each question consists of one or two mark.
The negative marking of 1/3rd for 1-mark question and 2/3rd for 2-mark questions.
Total marks – 100
Time allotted – 3 hours
Syllabus for GATE 2021
The syllabus for GATE 2021 has been revised as per the guidelines of GATE official website. Here is the link to download the latest syllabus for all the subjects required for GATE 2021.
Important dates for GATE 2021 are as follows:
Candidates must go through the decided schedule before begin the preparation for examination and then make a proper schedule-
|GATE 2021 Events||Dates|
|Opening of Registration window forGATE 2021||September 11, 2020 (Started)|
|Application form date end on||September 30, 2020|
|Extended date for submission of online application||October 7, 2020|
|Last Date to change the paper, category and examination city||November 13, 2020|
|GATE Admit card issuing date||January 8, 2021|
|Examination date||February 5-7 & February 12-14, 2021|
|Official Answer key will release on||10 days after the exam|
|Declaration of Result||March 22, 2021|
|Scorecard will Publish on||One week after the declaration of results|
|counseling cum admission process will start from||April 2021|
Registration and submission of GATE 2021
A candidate can register for GATE 2021 on the link given below for GOAPS. If a candidate want to appear for two examination, he has to apply only once.
Necessary documents required to fill the application form are as follows:
Personal information viz. name, date of birth, personal mobile number, parents’ name, parents’ mobile number, etc.. Please note that the name of the candidate in the application form must exactly be the same as written in the valid photo ID that he will show while appearing for examination in original.
- The scorecard for GATE 2021 will be issued according to the name entered in the application form.
- Avoid using Prefix/title such as Mr/Shri/Dr/Mrs/ Prof etc.
- Address including PIN code for Communication
- The degree details to check eligibility
- Subject for GATE paper(s) which you want to opt for
- Four Choices of GATE examination centers
- Candidate’s photo and signature in good quality conforming to the requirements specified
- Scanned image of Category (SC/ST) certificate (if applicable) in pdf format
- Scanned copy of PwD Certificate (if applicable) in pdf format
- Scanned copy of the valid photo Identity Document (ID). The same ID, in original, must be carried to the examination hall by the candidate
- Net-banking/UPI /debit card/credit card details for submission of fee which is as follows:
|Native Examination Centre||Regular Period|
(14th to 30th Sept. 2020)
|During the Extended Period|
(1st to 7th Oct 2020)
|Female candidates (per paper)||750||1250|
|SC / ST / PwD* category candidates (per paper)||750||1250|
|All other candidates (per paper)||1500||2000|
|Addis Ababa, Colombo, Dhaka, and Kathmandu||.||US$ 70|
|Dubai and Singapore||US$ 100||US$ 120|
Preparation tips and resources guide for GATE 2021
- Preparation strategy is the foremost requirement to before the beginning of journey. GATE 2021 demands effective and smart plan along with correct resources and study material.
- If you are taking coaching classes make sure that whether you are capable of managing proper time for self-study also or not. Self-study plays a crucial role in the preparation; it helps you to understand your own requirements and point of focus needed to boost up the level. And if you are managing both coaching and self-study, schedule your time table wisely.
- There are several online courses, video lectures and study material along with mock tests for distance learning also for those who can’t afford the high fee of coaching or they are unable to reside in far off cities.
- Online learning also saves your time as well as you can skip several those topics which are irrelevant for you and focus those are your point of interest and weaknesses.
- Set daily goals and targets, review them to ensure the completion of syllabus on time.
- Here are some of the leading institutes and platforms nationwide who are providing quality study material for GATE 2021:
- Grade UP mock test series and video lectures, Made Easy, theGateacademy.com and many more you may opt for.
Hope this article for GATE 2021 will help you clearing all your queries and understanding the syllabus, criteria, eligibility, syllabus and recent modifications.
“All the best”